NPDP Certification References and Reading List
This is not a required reading list, but is meant to support your individualized preparation for the NPDP exam. Most professionals are more knowledgeable about some topics than others. The NPDP Study Guide provides recommended readings for particular areas of the NPDP examination, to help you prepare for that section of the exam.
- Aranda, Eileen K., Luis Aranda and Kristi Conlon. 1998. Teams: Structure, Process, Culture and Politics, Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall
- Belliveau, Paul, Abbie Griffin and Stephen Somermeyer, Eds. 2002. The PDMA Toolbook 1 for New Product Development, New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Christensen, Clayton. 1997. The Innovator's Dilemma: When New Technologies Cause Great Firms to Fail, Boston: Harvard Business School Press.
- Clark, K. B. and S. C. Wheelwright. 1995. The Product Development Challenge, Boston: Harvard Business School Press. (Alternative to several HBR articles listed below)
- Cooper, Robert G., Scott Edgett and Elko Kleinschmidt. 2001. Portfolio Management for New Products, 2nd ed., Reading, MA: Perseus Books.
- Cooper, Robert G. 2001. Winning at New Products: Accelerating the Process from Idea to Launch, 3rd ed. Reading, MA: Perseus Books.
- Cooper, Robert G., Scott Edgett. 2007. Generating Breakthrough New Product Ideas, Feeding the Innovation Funnel, Canada: Product Development Institute.
- Crawford, Merle C. and Anthony DiBenedetto. 2003. New Products Management, 7th Edition, Boston: Irwin/McGraw-Hill.
- Griffin, Abbie. 1997. Drivers of NPD Success: The 1997 PDMA Report. PDMA Association . (Purchase from PDMA-call 1 800 232-5241-$15/members, $20/non-members + $5 shipping)
- Kahn, Kenneth B., ed., et. al. 2004. PDMA Handbook of New Product Development, 2nd Edition, New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc. Note: Includes NPD Glossary
- McGrath, Michael. 2001. Product Strategy for High Technology Companies, New York: The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- McGrath, Michael, Ed. 1996. Setting the PACE in Product Development, Boston: Butterworth-Heinemann.
- McQuarrie, Edward. 1998. Customer Visits: Building a Better Market Focus, 2nd Edition Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- McQuarrie, Edward. 1996. The Market Research Toolbox, A Concise Guide for Beginners, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Robbins, Harvey. 1996. Why Teams Don't Work: What Went Wrong and How to Make it Right, Princeton, NJ: Petersons Guides.
- Rosenau, Milton D. 1998. Successful Project Management, 3rd Edition, New York: John Wiley & Sons Inc.
- Smith, Preston and Donald Reinertsen. 2nd ed., 1998. Developing Products in Half the Time: New Rules, New Tools, New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Tushman, Michael L. and Charles A. O'Reilly III. 1997. Winning through Innovation, Boston: Harvard Business School Press.
- Wheelwright, Steven C., 1995. Leading Product Development, New York: Free Press.
- Wheelwright, Steven C., 1992. Revolutionizing Product Development, New York: Free Press.
- Cooper, Robert G. and Elko J. Kleinschmidt. 1987. "New Products: What Separates Winners from Losers?" Journal of Product Innovation Management, 4, 3: 169-184.
- Cooper, Robert G. and Scott Edgett and Elko J. Kleinschmidt. 1999. "New Product Porfolio Management Practices and Performance," Journal of Product Innovation Management, 16, 4: 333-351.
- Garcia, Rosanna and Roger Calantone. 2002. "A Critical Look at Technological Innovation Typology and Innovativeness Terminology: A Literature Review", Journal of Innovation Management, 19, 2: 110-132.
- Griffin, Abbie and Albert Page. 1996. "PDMA Success Measurement Project: Recommended Measures for Product Development Success and Failure," Journal of Product Innovation Management, 13, 6: 478-496.
- Griffin, Abbie. 1997. "PDMA Research on New product Development Practices: Updating Trends and Benchmarking Best Practices," Journal of Product Innovation Management, 14, 6: 429-458.
- Hauser, John and Don Clausing. 1988. "House of Quality," Harvard Business Review. (Can download from HBR.com for $6)
- Katzenback, Jon R. and Douglas K. Smith. 1993. "The Discipline of Teams," Harvard Business Review, 111-120. (Can download from HBR.com for $6)